1931 : 136
1944/45 : 200 (includes Mughr al-Shab’an)
The village stood on gently sloping hills in the northeast part of the al-Hula Plain, to the southwest of Tall al-Qadi. It was linked by a paved road to the nearby Jewish settlements of Dan and Dafna; the road led west to al-Khalisa, a village on the highway that led to Safad. Al-Shawka al-Tahta had a semicircular layout and its houses were clustered closely together. Its entire population was Muslim. A thick growth of natural vegetation flourished on the village’s northern side, thanks to a plentiful water supply provided by the perennial stream that flowed from Tall al-Qadi. Agriculture was both rainfed and irrigated from a number of springs; crops consisted mainly of grain and fruits. In 1944/45 a total of 140 dunuins was allocated to cereals; 1,845 dunums were irrigated or used for orchards. Archaeological sites near al-Shawka al-Tahta include Tall al-Qadi , to the northeast, and Khirbat al-Day’a to the south.
Nothing remains of al-Shawka al-Tahta. Stone rubble from destroyed houses is for the most part hidden under eucalyptus trees and wild grasses. A few cactuses grow on the site. The surrounding lands are used by Israelis both for farming and as pasture.
al-Khalidi. All That Remains